• Turbe
  • The kitchen
  • Čilla ili halvet
  • Kahve-odžak (coffee room)
  • Ribat and the mosque
  • Hamam (Turkish bath
  • Semahana and the musafir chamber (guest room)
Turbe

Turbe

Turbe (a house-shaped structure built around the tomb) – According to tradition, this is the place where Sari Saltuk and Acik-basa were burried. It is believed that the arrival of Acik-basa was foreseen by Sari Saltuk: „ After me, the river Buna will yield another one similar to me. He will be bald-headed.“

And the Buna river did in fact yield Acik-basa. The turbe is leveled with the first floor of the Tekija, with the ground immediately under it. There is a kubura (wooden sarcophagus, coffin) built on top of both graves, a common feature in Turbe construction. They are both covered with a green cloth, and on top of Sari Saltuk’s coffin was a big tespih (prayer beads).

The bigger coffin on the right belongs to Sari Saltuk and the smaller one to Acik-basa. Acik-basa’s tomb didn’t have a tombstone in the shape of a turban, better known as a dervish taj. On the wall hung a metal twelve-fringed mace and a sabre, sometimes even an iron breastplate (The breastplate has disappeared a long time ago and the mace was stolen some time between 1970. And 1975.). The mace and the sabre are also carved in a stone relief on the external side of the Turbe wall.

The kitchen

The kitchen

The kitchen – Next to this room, across the main entrance was the kitchen, used to prepare meals for the travellers, as well as food and drinks for those who attented the Musafir chamber. The fireplace can still be seen today. In the back of the kitchen was the culhan (heating room used to power underfloor heating) as well as a hazna (used to heat up the water).

Čilla ili halvet

Čilla ili halvet

Čilla or halvet – was a chamber located in a very small space between the hamam, sanitary facility and the guest room. It was used for the dervishes’ solitary contemplation about religion and Allah.

Kahve-odžak (coffee room)

Kahve-odžak (coffee room) Like the mutvak on the ground floor, the kahve-odzak is located on the second floor. It was a room where coffee and tea were prepared. The tekija was a domed structure before, as can be understood from the song of the poet Vaiz in 1716/1717. which described its reconstruction.

This chronogram is written in verses in which every letter has a numerical represent. The translation of the verses is:

  • When the domes envision the heavens
  • Everyone prays to sublime Allah
  • The size of Allah’s power
  • Is greater than all the mosques in the world.

Ergo, like the dome in the mosque, the Tekija complex had two domes within it.

Ribat and the mosque

Ribat and the mosque were destroyed earlier. A modern building was built on its location and the mosque was impossible to rebuild because that part of the land was destroyed by the river Buna.

Hamam (Turkish bath

In the back of the Tekija is the sanitary facility, through which, to left was a Turkish bath (hamam). It is a very harmoniously built home hamam. En eye-catching feature is its perforated dome, as well as an artistically modelled stone through above which warm and cold water flowed from two openings. The bath was heated from the hazna and culhana rooms located underneath it.

Semahana and the musafir chamber (guest room)

On the second floor of the Tekija you can find the semahana, or the room used to perform zikr (religous chanting). Semahana is the smaller room in the corner, next to the guest room. Both rooms overlook the source of the river. Both of them had a projected balcony and corners, which was noticed by Evlija Celebija s well. The corners weren’t restored by the Institute for Protection of Cultural Monuments in 1952. Above the door of the semahana there is a scripture that reads: “Oh, You Who opens every door (Oh, God), please open the best doors to us as well.“ In the extension of that area is the ablution facility with a toilet.

This is a unique website which will require a more modern browser to work!

Please upgrade today!